Making you and your families lives more eco friendly, doesn’t need to be stressful and something that happens overnight. Simply making small daily changes can really help make a difference. So here at cocobabybox we’ve pulled together some top tips to help you on your way to start living a more environmentally conscious life.
1. Save a little water
And of course, this small percentage that is left over isn’t just used for drinking. We need it to wash with, clean with and use it to produce the majority of everyday items, including clothing and food. Overall, combined these things are putting a great strain on fresh water supplies.
Thinking about how much water you’re using can really help make a difference and even shift your mindset to make you more water conscious every day.
Even the small things can make a big difference:
- When brushing your teeth, turn off the tap and don’t leave it running while washing your face
- You could pop a bucket in the bath to help collect the water that would otherwise run down the drain while you wait for your shower to get warm. You can then use this water for watering plants or washing the car.
- It’s a bad habit to break, but when you’re eating out at a restaurant, only order water if you are actually going to drink it
2. Going meatless
Something that can be a little daunting is the idea of going meatless. But it’s actually a lot easier than you think, especially if you’re only committing to a few days a week.
Agriculture accounts for around a 1/4 of all greenhouse gas emissions, and a lot of these are produced by cattle and lamb.
That means, one of the best things we can do as an eco friendly family is to reduce our meat consumption.
Some easy alternatives are; overnight oats for brekkie, switching to a veggie pizza for friday night dinners and even replacing your satay chicken with some satay tofu instead.
3. Go plastic-free
Now we’re definitely in agreement that this is probably one of the most challenging tips. But some quick, simple changes can definitely make a world of difference.
- Changing from plastic to glass tupperware
- Reuse old plastic bags, or ditch the plastic and start using fabric
- Make the switch to biodegradable rubbish bags
It’s all about bringing your own:
- BYOS - Ditch plastic straws and bring your own metal ones
- BYOC - Bring your own coffee cup or request your cup with no plastic lid
- BYOB - Bring your own water bottle
4. Shop a little smarter
Changing your shopping habits can really help, in the biggest way.
There are lots of eco-friendly alternatives out there now, making it easy for you to choose environmentally conscious products, without breaking the bank.
Everything from detergent to tampons to Diapers. Lots of daily essentials are made with organic cotton, recycled materials or are themselves reusable.
Out cocobabyboxes really fall into this category - Up-to 60 days after purchase, we encourage you to send the clothes back to receive a 15% cash back. Helping the products last a little longer.
There are so many daily realities which seem harmless enough, but are in fact contributing to a lot of energy usage. Reducing your household energy with simple tips, can really help make a difference.
- Turn off the lights when you’re not in a room
- Turn down the heat and grab a blanket instead to keep cozy this winter
- Get back to basics and read a book instead of watching TV
- Always unplug appliances when you’re not using them and replace them with energy-efficient updates
- Turn down the heat and wash your clothes in cold water
Making small steps like these every day is the perfect way to help make your home a little more eco-friendly. Keeping them small and creating good routines will definitely help you and your family keep in the habit and help make the world a little better.